How do I read, post, or delete Chat Room messages?
Go to Chat Room.
Select the Chat Room tool from the Tool Menu of your site.
To read Chat Room messages:
When you click Chat Room, you will enter the default room (as specified by the site leader).
- To change rooms, students can click Change Room at the top, and select the room they'd like to enter.
- To see who is presently in the room, look under "Users in Chat" on the right side of the screen.
- Messages appear in chronological order, with the most recent at the bottom. Messages will always identify the sender. You will also see the user's profile picture next to the name.
- To hide or display the date or time messages were posted, select the appropriate option from the "View" drop-down list: Time Only, Date and Time, Date Only, Neither Date nor Time, or ID Only.
- To change how many messages you see, from the second drop-down list, select one of the following options: Last 100 messages, Last 10 messages, Past 3 days, or Show no message history. (If you choose Show no message history, you will see only messages posted after you made this selection.)
To post Chat Room messages:
In the text box at the bottom of the window, type your message, and then click Add message or hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
Note: No one can see your message until you click Add message or hit Enter, but once you do, only an instructor or a participant with special permission can delete your message.
To discard a message that you haven't sent yet, click Clear.
To delete a Chat Room messages.
To delete a Chat Room message that you have sufficient permission to delete, click the trash can icon (Delete this Message) next to the posting.
Note: If you don't see a trash can icon, you don't have permission to delete the message.
You will be prompted to confirm the deletion. If you are sure you want to delete the message, click the Delete button to confirm.
Tip: To permanently delete all messages from a chat room, click Options, and then click Clear History. Click Delete to confirm.